Sunday, March 14, 2010

Growing up too fast...

Kids....
Being a parent, I've realized that things are not always easy....

Are kids first of all...grow up WAY to fast...and why is that exactly ...the logic answer is time..but as you learn it's not that of a simple answer. We as a society want our kids to grow up way to quickly.
We give them toys that are too old as infants, we perhaps talk to them as if they were much older than they really are and many dress their kids in clothing that make them look older. We also believe at times that they understand much more than they really do.
Why do we push our kids to be older? Seeing as we as adults would do anything to turn back time. It seems to me that exposure to television and technology is in fact hindering our children.

They in my opinion
, are forced to endure imagery and real life that was previously kept hidden from plain sight. Kids should be kids. No worries and no concerns. Just yesterday, my daughter saw an ambulance pass by us in the car and she muttered that perhaps the person inside the vehicle was badly hurt or had died. Her father and I were stunned. Did she just say Died??? She's only four and already knows what cancer is? Which I think is incredible...but on the other hand, did I really want her to know what that meant? Should she be exposed to all this sadness of the world? I'm torn myself on this topic...But deep down, I know the answer. I just want her to play barbies and sing cute songs and think of nothing but lollipops, rainbows, skipping ropes and colouring. She's seen us watching the news and sadly enough saw when many soldiers where placed in the back of the planes in their caskets...and asked me what was inside the boxes. And I answered as best as I could. These men are heroes, I said. They sadly enough died and are now with Jesus, in the sky..amongst the stars. But was that the best answer? As parents...we are sometimes at a loss for words...WOULDN'T YOU AGREE!

We need to at times take a step back and remember they are only 3*4*5* years of age..still innocent and still not able to fully understand everything around them. Sadly enough, life is stressful and at times we ALL need to take a step back and remember that we are undoubtedly their role models and they look for us on how to behave in times of stress.

Not quite sure what brought me to this topic tonite...
Perhaps it was watching my daughter at Disney on Ice last nite. She was captivated. Her little eyes were glued on Tinkerbell,Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs. She was so glad to see Mickey and Minnie..It was priceless...her eyes twinkled and for just a few moments I felt like a kid again..she had opened my eyes and I felt back in time...
No worries-no stress-Pure fascination and wonder. I felt free..Free to see things in her eyes-her perspective. Even if it's just for a little while!

I truly adore and love my kids...
They are truly my blessings in life!

We need to keep our kids close and at times shelter them from certain things...They don't need to learn everything at once.

Ta ta for now....




No comments:

Post a Comment